Monday, January 18, 2010

Making a game of moving

Just over a week ago I was told I had to pack up and move yet again to another apartment. This brings the number to 3 times in only a year and a half. Needless to say I was not too happy. It became evident to me that the more I resisted the idea, the worse I felt about it, so I decided to go with the flow and make my move into an exciting game. I started looking forward to the move, was excited to see my new apartment, used the opportunity to get rid of clutter and was able to support a charity in the process. My move truly turned out to be quite an adventure and a great learning experience. When the movers knocked at my door it had started snowing heavily and there was not a single sole who could speak English. However this did not dampen my spirits and we managed very well. It turned out that I found some very willing translators, all the administrators were very understanding and the movers were extremely speedy and efficient despite the weather. Four days later I was completely moved, unpacked and settled in. My phone was reconnected, I had high-speed Internet access, the TV cable guys arrived a day early and I was once again part of the “real world”. I can honestly say that it could not have gone more smoothly had I been in my home country. On reflection I noted that life is life wherever we are. We could be in Korea, South Africa or the USA, but life situations happen on a daily basis. In essence this is the very nature of life. There is no escaping it. But, what we often fail to recognize is that it is during these life situations that we are presented with the opportunities that help us to grow and become better people. When obstacles present themselves, ease and facilitate an easy transition or find a solution by asking “How can I make this work?” and not “Why is this happening to me?” One of the things that disempowers us in life is when we take ourselves too seriously. We could lighten up a bit, have more fun and enjoy things more. Treat life like a game. This does mean to undermine the seriousness of certain events, but when we view life as a game, we are able to be more effective in finding solutions and enjoying the process. When I decided to treat my move as a game and adventure, miracles happened. People went out of their way to help me, I moved into a dream apartment and I now wake up in the morning with a view second to none. Quote of the week “Life is a challenge, meet it! Life is a dream, realize it! Life is a game, play it! Life is Love, enjoy it!” Sri Sathya Sai Baba This weeks challenge How would you feel about “playing the game”? Use this tool with a life situation this week and if you have difficulties in taking this approach, ask yourself this one question: “What is the worst thing that could happen?”

No comments:

Post a Comment