Sunday, January 31, 2010

Game Tables have Come A Long Way

When I was young, my family had a game table in our basement that my siblings and I all enjoyed. We played chess and checkers just about every night to amuse ourselves and I can still recall many fond memories of conversations we had while seated around that table. My mother would always want us to play upstairs where she could keep a better eye on us, but that would have meant bringing the game table upstairs as well. Unfortunately, that wasn't a possibility. You see, our game table was perfect for games, but horrible as a piece of furniture. Ugly doesn't begin to describe the aesthetics of our table. It wasn't that it once looked good and years of use had worn it unevenly. In fact, because we loved the table so much, we took great care of it. This table was never attractive to begin with, as gaming was its primary function. Luckily, things have changed.

I recently decided to buy a game table for my young brood. I was pleasantly surprised to find several gaming tables that were as elegant as even the nicest pieces in our home but that still retained a high level of functionality as a gaming device. From marble topped game tables to wood and veneer tables that hid the game board, the choices were almost endless. I found so many that I liked that I had a legitimately hard time choosing. We have four antique Moller chairs in Danish modern design that I wanted to use with the table, so that enabled me to narrow it down to a few choices. I have always liked the look of pedestal tables, so that further narrowed the field to two at the online furniture dealer I ended up buying from. I still couldn't decide, so I called in the experts (my children), and they unanimously voted between the two I had chosen. My wife and I are thrilled because we now have a beautiful piece of furniture that looks perfect in our family room and also helps keep the family together in one place. Our house doesn't have a basement, though we wouldn't even think of putting our game table anywhere but where it is even if we did.

I wonder what my mom would think of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment