Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Dreams for Kids Team will Race Across America-but not on Sunday

The Race Across America (RAAM) is a 3053-mile race across the country beginning in Oceanside, CA and ending in Atlantic City, NJ. RAAM is known as the world’s toughest event. Through deserts and over mountains, in conditions that will range from cold, heat, snow, rain, darkness and blazing sun, the finishers of this non-stop race across the United States will have climbed nearly 110,000 feet, equal to traveling a distance from the ground to the edge of space, four times the altitude of Mt. Everest. Those few riders to reach the finish line will have traveled a combined distance equal to circling the earth at the equator four times. There are solo riders, two-person teams, four-person teams and eight-person teams. The four-person team race begins at 2 PM Pacific Time on Tuesday, June 13 and ends at 12 PM Eastern Time on Friday, June 23. In other words, the four-person teams have 9 days and 19 hours, or 235 hours to finish the race. Dreams for Kids, a 501© (3), non-profit children’s charity, which is volunteer based and raises it donations through community fundraising and special events such as RAAM, works primarily to improve the lives of kids with disabilities. I am racing for Dreams for Kids. The Dreams for Kids cycling team, however, only has 8 days and 19 hours, or 211 hours of riding time to finish the race. This is because the Dreams for Kids team will not be riding on Sunday. As a member of the Dreams for Kids team, I am often asked, “Why aren’t you riding on Sunday?” Let me explain. I believe the Bible to be the word of God, and in the Bible it says: (1) that God created the earth and its inhabitants in six days, that He rested on the seventh day, and that He blessed and sanctified the seventh day (Genesis 2:1-3); (2) to remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy (Exodus 20:8); (3) if you keep the Sabbath day holy you will “eat your bread to the full” and that you will lie down with peace and not be afraid (Leviticus 26:2-6). I believe that we are God’s children, that He loves us, and that when we do what He asks us to do He blesses us abundantly. The word Sabbath comes from the Hebrew word shabbath, meaning day of rest. Therefore, to keep the Sabbath day holy, I believe we are to rest from our labors, rest from our selfish interests, and rest from our self-absorbing activities. The Sabbath is also the Lord’s day, and thus while it is a day for resting from our labors, it is also a day for us to do His work. It is a day to pray and worship, a day to visit the sick and distressed, a day to perform acts of kindness, a day to read and meditate. I truly believe that if I remember the Sabbath and keep it holy, I will prosper far more than if I was to labor on that day. Once again, I believe we are God’s children, that He loves us, and that if we keep His commandments He will bless us in ways that bring everlasting peace and happiness. I do not mean to be lofty or obnoxious towards those who do not believe as I do, but as noted above, I am often asked why I am not racing on Sunday, and for me, the peace I have and the blessings I believe will come from keeping the Sabbath day holy are far more valuable than winning a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment